Donald W. Reynolds Razorback Stadium (DWRRS)
Donald W. Reynolds Razorback Stadium (DWRRS), following a major expansion and renovation project completed prior to the 2001 season, gives the University of Arkansas one of the finest football facilities in the nation.
The $110 million project, which included a $20 million gift from the Donald W. Reynolds Foundation, saw the capacity of the stadium increased from 51,000 to 72,000.
The concrete and steel below the stands were completely enclosed with a brick and glass facade. The look rivals that of many of the newer Major League Baseball stadiums. In addition to covering the steel and concrete, the concourses are wider and concession areas and restrooms were replaced.
The east concourse is "Championship Alley" with displays of conference championships, the 1964 national title and every football letterman. The south end zone concourse is "All-American Alley" and is dedicated to Razorback All-Americans. The west concourse is "Bowl Alley" with tributes to each bowl team.
Other than the facade covering, the other most noticeable addition is the enclosure of the south end zone, which features chairback seating and the addition of approximately 7,300 total seats with space for an additional upper deck that would push the capacity to 80,000. The enclosure also includes a food court with space for five vendors.
Other major additions include an expanded press box, which includes Orville Henry Press Row, and the addition of luxury suites.
Sixty-eight suites/skyboxes were added, bringing the total to 132. The stadium's capacity includes 8,950 club seats, inside and out.
Other additions include the 15,000 square foot Bob and Marilyn Bogle Academic Center and the 3,800 square foot Wilson Matthews "A" Club, both on the east side where an upper deck, which seats 6,500, was added along with enclosed premium club seating.
Arkansas unveiled a new video display in the North end zone scoreboard for the 2012 season. Built upon LSI's SMARTVISION® LED technology, the 16mm video display is currently the second-largest on-campus video display in the country. Measuring at nearly 38' x 167', nearly doubling the dimensions of the former video board, the display gives the stadium a true high definition video display area with the actual width exceeding HD resolution.
The stadium's debut came on Sept. 24, 1938 as Arkansas defeated Oklahoma A&M, 27-7. It was dedicated on Oct. 8 that year when the Razorbacks hosted Baylor.
Constructed as a Works Progress Administration project with an original capacity of 13,500, the facility was first enlarged upon the arrival of John Barnhill as athletic director in 1947 when an additional 2,500 seats were added to the north end of the east and west grandstands.
In 1950, a new press box was constructed and 5,200 more seats were built on the west side. A 5,200-seat addition to the east side was completed in 1957. Expansion projects in 1965 and 1969 increased capacity to 42,678 - a figure that held steady until a year of construction on additional seats and skyboxes brought the facility to 50,000 seats prior to the 1985 season.
Other improvements during the facility's 69-year history include the addition of Astroturf in 1969 and the construction of the Broyles Athletic Center, which houses athletic administration and coaches' offices, at the north end of the stadium in 1975. The Broyles Athletic Center underwent renovations, completed in 1994, while the playing surface was returned to natural grass in 1995 prior to the most recent change to synthetic turf prior to the 2009 season.
Arkansas' all-time record at DWRRS is 163-79-2 (.670). Prior to 1938, the Razorbacks played in a 300-seat stadium built in 1901 on land atop "The Hill," now occupied by Mullins Library and the Fine Arts Center.